In the age of the Internet, mobile technology, and cloud computing, teams are no longer working within the four walls of the same office. Virtual teams are becoming the norm. The project manager can be working in the United States. At the same time, the lead developer or marketer can be working in India. And the rest of the team can be scattered all over the world. Technology connects all team members through collaboration software.
Investing in collaboration software is now imperative. Especially if your business caters to projects and employs team members who need to communicate with each other regularly. As technology supports smooth communication and collaboration, the demand for collaborative application software increases so as to ensure productivity and efficiency at individual and collective levels.
Additionally, the following points should convince you why your company needs to have the best team collaboration software your money can buy.
5 Reasons Why You Need a Collaboration Software in Your Company
- Discover Employees’ Skills and Strengths
When you pool people into teams, you can engage each member. Each member has a unique skill set that is useful for certain aspects of a project. There are also cases where people have to step up and shoulder the role of other team members. This especially happens when certain team members are unavailable for some reason. For instance, a content writer provides creative input for marketing because their lead marketer is busy with other pressing tasks.
It is during these moments where collaboration provides people of particular expertise to showcase other talents and strengths. A modern collaboration system documents and logs information for future reference, attribution, and auditing.
People who are known for their existing skills are credited for stepping up to fulfill obligations that required an entirely different area of expertise. They get recognition and more opportunities to put their other skills on full display.
- Develop Existing and Potential TalentCollaboration software not only helps you identify which of your employees are performing well, but it also allows you to determine business areas where your employees have the potential to excel. This identification helps you take note of people whose skills you want to develop. They can take more significant roles in future projects.
Any collaborative endeavor empowers people to go beyond their comfort zone and get more creative. Such an environment allows them to see competencies they thought never existed. It challenges them to become more critical of themselves and encourage them to do better.
Because collaboration is also about filling the gaps, a collaboration system helps you create teams comprising members who complement each other. Each person has strengths and weaknesses. Having a collaboration software lets you find people not only with the right talent but also individuals whose skills cancel out the liabilities of other members of the team.
- Improved Project ManagementCollaboration systems enable project managers to manage multiple projects, implement better scheduling, organize and maximize resources and personnel. Project managers can utilize collaboration tools to build detailed project plans at every stage. They can also utilize the tools to conduct productive meetings with other team members.
Because everything is transparent, team members are fully aware of their tasks, schedules, deadlines, and goals. It instills in them a sense of urgency as well as ownership of tasks.
Collaboration software also helps managers find alternative and additional team members if needed. The system contains employee profiles that include core skills and competencies. This helps in assisting managers in streamlining and specifying their search and finding the right people for the job,
Project managers can effortlessly manage tasks and monitor progress. This allows them to carefully coordinate project-related activities and change priorities or strategies when needed.
If you are interested in looking at some options, you can check out this FinancesOnline collaboration tools list for the best collaboration systems available in the market.
- Foster Healthy Competition and Improve Employee Relationships Competition is normal in any workplace environment. In fact, competition is a vital cog to any collaborative effort. In an ideal setting, competition fuels people to become more productive and creative. They tend to be more open to novel ideas and working with other people to achieve common goals.
Using a collaboration software solution, companies can assign projects to different teams, define goals, set schedules, and deadlines. Tracking progress becomes more effortless, allowing business leaders to gauge performance and efficiency. It enables them to identify effective metrics to measure team performance and success rate and find opportunities for improvement.
At an individual level, workers learn to trust their fellow team members, provide support and talent in problematic areas, communicate more clearly, and increase efficiency at all levels. A group with mutual trust and communication along with a standard set of goals is one step closer to a high-performance team.
- Collaboration via Mobile is The FutureAs online collaboration and remote teams become the standard for many project-based industries, spending on collaboration software will definitely increase. The enterprise collaboration software market will see more significant growth in the coming years. Currently valued at $31 billion, the industry is projected to increase to as much as $48.1 billion by 2024 as per a recent report by Globe Newswire.
As more and more business organizations and professionals place a premium on mobility, mobile collaboration and chat applications will become more popular. According to a 2016 survey by Statista, 52% of respondents believe that mobile chat and collaboration tools will replace email in three to five years.
This seems to be a recent trend. A 2019 article by the New York Times reported how Slack is becoming the communication channel of choice for collaboration teams. Various companies, including a car shopping site and a startup tech company based in Texas, revealed how they moved on from email and substituted it with Slack for all their collaboration communication. Check out the interesting Slack stats!
It may not be the norm yet. But it is worth noting that this is the direction of modern collaboration. One trend you should be aware of and be prepared for.